Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Zoe's First Hair Blog :)






I guess I should start with a very short version of Zoe's story home....
Zoe was born at 23 weeks gestation, on the brink of viability. She weighed 1.7 pounds and struggled for 3 months in the hospital to stay alive. Her list of dx since her birth is endless...she is a true miracle and such a blessing to our family. She has proven to be the strongest person I have ever known and has the sweetest heart ever!! I will never forget the moment I walked into the NICU and saw her beautiful face. I picked her up imediately and put her to my chest and just fell in love with her instantly. I brought her home, as baby #6, 2 years ago this month!!

So, back to HAIR :) Well, what can I say? I thought I had things pretty much under control with braiding and styling African textured hair because I learned so much with Cassidy. Then comes Zoe.......darker skin, less dry, lighter eyes, and much softer tight curls, but nothing like Cassidy! How naive was I to think her hair would be exactly the same? White people don't know a thing about black hair!! lol :) At least no one I know!! So, as we have gone along, most people comment on how Zoe has "nice hair" and , "she must have a little indian in her" (that was my personal favorite). Cass had bad hair, Zoe had good hair.......blah blah blah. Well as far as I was concerned, Cassidy had better hair!! I could neatly cornrow her hair and put barretts and ballies and it was neat as could be for 2 whole weeks! Zoe's hair won't hold for even a week! It gets fuzzy and looks messy really quick!! So, she has been wearing a fro, with the occasional headband or twisted bangs.....that has been it! And it is getting long!
Tonight I was thinking of putting in microbraids........we will see what happens!

3 comments:

luvlockd said...

this pic of zoe with the flower headband is too cute! i love it!

Unknown said...

Hello Tonia, i am also Tanya and my daughter also has locks. I started hers from microbraids at the age of 4 also. She loves it. Enjoy your and your daughters journey. Oh don't worry about the negeitive reviews. I still get them but i don't really care. My daughter is happy, well ajusted and all her hair is her own.

foxydiva said...

Your children are beautiful. And Ms Zoe has nerve enough to have them long curly eyelashes!!! You've got baby divas running around the house!!!! LOL

But the comparison of your girls sounds like how people described my sister and myself. My non black friends used to think we were insane when they would hear our deranged convo's about good/bad hair, redbone, dark skin, light skin, part indian etc.

One of my white friends actually said "Wow, I didnt think you could be racist against your own people." Its sad but true, we take an active role in our own oppression sometimes.

I thank you for not letting your girls buy into that nonsense.

Do you think Zoe would wanna lock up too when she is older like her big sis?

nubianvision.blogspot.com