Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Twist OUT


Still not sure how to get the parts to fall back for this look.....would love to hear advice on that! But it sure looks cute! I took out the tiny bands this morning and finger combed her hair and she ran to the mirror and said, "momma, I just love my hair"........can you even imagine the joy I feel to hear her say that? Not because I don't think her hair is beautiful, but because I made the decision to loc her hair when she was this young...and I really believe she loves it as much as I do! And the rest of our family and friends!
The only complaint I have is people trying to get their hands all up in her hair ALL THE TIME! Well, white people that is. Being white, I understand if you never felt black hair you would be curious and you surely wouldn't be sticking your hands in an adult woman's head...but why is it they think it's ok to touch Cassidy's hair? She hates it and it really bothers me. I don't quite know why, but I don't like anyone putting their hands all over any of my kids......they aren't dogs to be pet!!
Come on now mama's.............give me a good one liner. Tell me what to say when someone tries messin in my girls hair. I don't want to be rude, cause I don't think they are intending to be rude......I just think they dno't know any better!
I know I opened a can of worms, but I am chompin at the bit to hear what you all have to tell me about this one!
Love you ladies for all you have been for us:) I read Cass every wonderful thing you all say to her and she loves looking at all your pictures to see what her locs are gonna look like when she's bigger:) It's a beautiful thing!
So here she is twist out!














































Our loctician says her hair is locking pretty quick
and should be pretty settled in about 4 more months.
Just curious if you can tell from the attempt at close up
pictures how far along it looks. I can tell some
areas are looking more loc'd than others, and some
ends have buds and the top doesn't have buds at
all yet.
Either way, it is looking amazing in my humble mama
opinion :)

9 comments:

new2locs said...

I think the more you move her hair around the less prominent her parts will be. And as far as people in her hair!? I'm kind of crazy I would probably put my hands in the peoples hair as soon as they put their hands in my babies hair. LOL Seriously though I think I would tell them nicely that I don't want them to touch her hair because she doesn't like it.

Anonymous said...

Let your little girl know that it is absolutely okay for her to tell anyone (even an adult) not to touch her or her hair. She can say "Please do not touch my hair, I don't like it!" and move away from them.

If someone gets offended, that is their problem.

An older lady at the Y was rubbing Bubba's bald head and he and I were not happy and just moved away.

Fuesha said...

Oh im here to tell you that as an adult people still feel then need to touch my head sometimes without asking. You should feel funny about it because these people are 1. Not even asking and 2. you dont where there hands have been.

But her braid out is so cute i can tell she loves it. To make the parts less viable just put your fingers a little above the root and just play with it alittle. Its the same thing i do to get rid of my parts if i do a braidout.

Pam said...

Looking here to see what others are saying about the hair touching, like you, I'd like to have a good response too.

Toki PhD said...

The touching without permission also happens to women with pregnant bellies! What is up with that??

Anyway, I am 40+ years old and this still happens to me--I work at a university where I am one of a small number of black folks. I try not to get offended, because people just don't think about what they are doing! But, I just ask them politely not to do it. That seems to snap them out of ignorance trance and they usually realize how rude they are being.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow sisterlocked sister for almost 2 yrs now I have the same problem from time to time. Most people seem to ask at the same time that they are reaching out for my head. Depending on who they are I either duck quickly or let them touch it.
Since Cassidy doesn't really like people touching her hair, I would flat out tell anyone who dares to do so without asking "Cassidy doesn't really like for people to touch her hair, especially without asking, please don't do that." Or, Cassidy should be allowed to tell them that for herself if she wants!
It is important for ladies especially young girls to learn to clearly express themselves without being rude, especially when it is about something that involves their own body. You and she should never feel like you are the ones who are wrong for saying something about others actions towards you. Since she is so young, it is great for her to see that her mom, her protector, stands up for her in situations that she might not be able to since she is just a child.
A fun way to handle it would be to tell someone who touches her hair without asking..."Now it's Cassidy's turn to play in your hair." When they look at you strangely tell them she really doesn't care for people touching her hair all the time, please don't do that again.
Hope this helps!

luvlockd said...

cassidy is always so adorable in your pics! love the twist out! her hair is thick like mine, and like me, she's having no problem locking up ;o) i'm enjoying her journey almost as much as my own. keep it up, mama!

...now to add to the "dont touch" convo...for most folks, i agree with tiffani's playful suggestion...but some folks - especially if they know you - insist that their behavior is no big deal and that its okay for them to continue playing in her hair. (i've experienced this myself, the "why are you tripping? i just want to see your hair" attitude that can sometimes lead to hurt feelings.) in this situation, do not beat around the bush. you tell them flat out and matter-of-factly that they are invading her personal space without having permission to do so. cassidy should do the same.

Amina said...

Her hair is so cute, and you are doing an excellent job handling it!

Whenever someone goes for my hair, I tend to duck, and jokingly say, "I'm not a puppy!"

Maybe if you tell Cassidy to give a really good screw-face to the person with the hands-in-hair curiosity, they might stop. But she'll have to look whomever directly in the face. I agree with the aforementioned comment, she has a right to state whether or not it's okay for someone to touch her. Especially someone random. Then you can follow up with, "She doesn't really like people touching her head, you'd be surprised how many ppl feel that it's okay to do, and just do it." Hopefully, that will shame said unwanted touch-er into submission without being rude.

*Coop* said...

Just stumbled in from the locked exchange page.
About other people touching Cassidy's hair - *sigh* I wish I had good advice. I'm a graduate student and teacher's assistant. Undergrads are always touching my hair and I haven't found the right combination of words to express my annoyance without turning them off of the learning process.
It's tough.

You have a beautiful family! I love all of the pictures. And a Girl Scout too. :-)